For any professionals risks, the technical prevention and administrative, provisions there arent enough for that is necessary a third type of defense: Personal Protective equipment (PPE).
We use the PPE in emergency situations like an serious accident, escape, or a fire.
PPE is equipment that will protect the user against health of safety risk at work. I can include items such as safety footwear and safety harnesses, it also includes respiratory protective equipment (RPE).
Even where engineering controls and safe system of work have been applied, some hazards might remain these include injuries.
Some of the main elements of Personal Protection presented below: FOR THE HEAD
- Safety helmet: When exposed to electrical hazards and shocks
- Hat or cap: When exposed to moisture or bacteria
EYE AND FACE
- Safety glasses: When exposed to particle projection in trades such as carpentry or wood carving
- monogoggles security: When you have exposure to chemical splash or in the presence of gases, vapors and fumes
- Safety Mask: Use in jobs that require full face protection as the use of polishing, circular saw or when handling chemicals in large quantities
- mask or goggles for eye welding filter: To protect against sparks, particles and radiation projection welding process.
FOR BREATHING APPARATUS
- Disposable mask: When in environments where airborne such as cotton or cement dust and other particles derived polishing particles parts
- Purifying Respirator (with filter material or cartridges): When in gases, vapors, fumes and mists in their environment. Request filter change when you feel strong odors of gases and vapors
- Self-contained Respirators: Where there is imminent danger to life due to lack of oxygen, such as tank cleaning or emergency management for chemical spills.
- Premoldeados: Decrease approximately 27 dB. Allow secure fit in the ear canal
- Moldings: Decrease approximately 33 dB. They are made on measured according to the shape of the ear
- Type Cup muffs: They reduce noise approximately 33 dB. They cover the entire ear.
- disposable plastic gloves: Protect against irritants soft
- Gloves aluminum material: They are used for handling hot objects
- Dielectric Gloves: Isolate the worker contact with hazardous energy
- chemical resistant gloves: Protect your hands against corrosives, acids, oils and solvents. There are different materials: PVC, Neoprene, Nitrile, Butyl, Polyvinyl.
FOR THE FOOTS
- Plastic boots: When working with chemicals
- Safety boots with steel toe caps: When handling loads and when in contact with sharp objects
- shoes with nonslip soles: When exposed to moisture in grooming activities
- safety boots Dielectric: When near electric cables or connections
FOR WORK IN HEIGHTS
For work at a height of 1.8 meters above floor level use full safety harness:
- Helmet with chin strap
- carabiners and slings
The (PPE) can be expensive for a company/institutions and it’s possible that some workers don’t want use it. For that the direction representative the workers and security committee (if there is) to agree.
The (PPE) must be provided for the employer and some categories has to be certificated by one of the two unique recognized authorities certifiers by commerce secretary in Argentina: IRAM and UL.
REGISTRATION OF DELIVERY/DELIVERY RECORD OF (PPE) AND WORKWEAR.
Resolution SRT 299/2011 create the (PPE) registry form and workwear, this must be completed by health and safety responsable, or ART as appropriate, and signed for the workwer