The origins of bread date back to a distant past. The discovery was at the Neolithic period. Ancestor of humans already knew that if he grinded seeds and grains and mixed them with water he would have porridged as a result. However, one day someone forgot the porridge in some kind of pot, and when he came back he found a grainy, squashed and dry cake. The first bread had just taken shape.
Since then, bread, has been linked to human’s evolution. It has been presented at conquests, revolutions, civilizations and discoverings. It has been taking part in global culture.
Homemade Bread Recipe
I would like to share one of my favorites bread recipes with you. It is a simple and quick making with an amazing result. You can use it every day because of its low level of difficulty and use of ingredients within reach of everyone.
Ingredients for 5 servings:
600 grams of wheat flour
350 milliliters of warm water
30 grams of yeast
10 grams of salt
Extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven at 220ºC. Having done so, mix flour with warm water in a bowl. Use your hands to mix them in order to make it easier for you.
- Add salt and fresh yeast and keep mixing until you get an homogenous lump-free mass. Knead the mass during 6-7 minutes approximately. Make it a ball, cover it up with a clean cloth and allow it to rise until its volume doubles.
- When the dough has doubled in size, turn it out onto a floured surface, shape it into a ball and place it on a baking tray. Cut the bread into slices
- Cover it up again and let it rise. Then, remove the cloth and paint the bread with olive oil for a crunchy and hard crust.
- Bake the soft and fluffy bread during 45-50 minutes. When it is ready, remove it from the oven and allow it to cool down on a rack.
I hope you can enjoy a tasty homemade bread and that you have learned a bit from its origins.